YOUR SOURCE FOR SCIATICA TREATMENT IN AIEA, PEARL CITY & SURROUNDING HAWAII COMMUNITIES
Sciatica is a condition that occurs when the sciatic nerve becomes pinched in the lower lumbar region of the spine. Sciatica is a common problem for older adults, but can also occur in younger people under the right conditions. Many pregnant women, for example, get sciatica during pregnancy. Knowing how to recognize sciatica and where to go for treatment can help you get the relief you need when you’re in pain.
The symptoms of sciatica include:
- Pain in one leg when engaging in certain activities, like standing, sitting or lying down.
- Numbness and tingling in one leg.
- Pain in the lower back.
- Radiating discomfort down the legs and through the back.
What You Can Do About Sciatica
If you suffer from sciatica, there are many things that you can do at home to help control your condition, including:
- Stretches and exercises – There are many stretches and exercises you can perform to help relieve sciatica pain. For example, laying on your back and pulling your knees one at a time up to your chest can help stretch the lower portion of the spine and release pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Yoga – Yoga can help by stretching the muscles and straightening the spine. Yoga can also help restore balance to the spine, just like the stretches and exercises described above.
- Heat and ice – Putting a bag of ice or a cold compress on the affected area can help reduce inflammation and reduce pressure on the sciatic nerve. If the area is not inflamed, putting a hot compress on the irritated area can loosen the muscles, relieving pain and freeing the sciatic nerve from the part of the spine that is pinching it.
- Anti-inflammatory diet – Eating an anti-inflammatory diet can also help reduce symptoms of sciatica. Your chiropractor can help you choose anti-inflammatory foods that will help with this.
How Our Chiropractor at Chiropractic Family Health Center Can Help
Dr. Paul Kurihara at Chiropractic Family Health Center can help by administering chiropractic techniques that can loosen the muscles, realign the vertebrae of the spine and free the pinched part of the spinal cord. The following techniques can help:
- Spinal adjustment – A spinal adjustment is a chiropractor’s method of realigning the vertebrae of the spine. Spinal adjustments help eliminate subluxations and relieve conditions like sciatica.
- Massage therapy – Massage therapy can relax and loosen tight muscles that could be contributing to the development of sciatica.
- Spinal decompression – Spinal decompression is a method that chiropractors can use to create a vacuum around problem areas of the spine. Spinal decompression can repair injuries like herniated discs.
Contact Us Today for Sciatica Treatment in Aiea!
For more information about how you can treat your sciatica, contact Dr. Kurihara in Aiea, Hawaii. At Chiropractic Family Health Center, we’re also proud to treat the people of Mililani, Waimalu and Kaneohe. To make an appointment, contact us today at (808) 518-4421.